I'm pretty into soup right now. LA doesn't really have soup weather, but the last few weeks have been about as close as it gets. So, when this recipe landed in my feed, it seemed like perfect timing to try it out.Read More…
- The bacon emoji is coming
- Here's a great practical and decorative beer scratch off chart so you can keep track of beers you've tried.
- Nobody wants to admit it, but we all have to know it's true. The moral of the story is, watch your beer instake if you're dieting.
Have you ever wondered what beer would taste like if you filtered it through a Brita first? It turns out, it (and everything else) tastes just like water.
The creators promise quick reracking, no movement during games, and perfectly lined up edges on the traditional pyramid shape. The cups are durable, top shelf dishwasher safe, and reusable. They're about 1/3 of the way to their $50k Kickstarter goal with 23 days remaining. A $15 backing gets you one full set of Hexcups.Read More…
Interesting beer links from around the web for the start of 2016:
- PicoBrew, the Keurig/Sodastream for home brewed beer has been getting some attention at CES.
- Researchers have tasted the 125 year old beer found at the bottom of Halifax Harbor. Turns out it tastes like beer.
- MightySquirrel hits the market with protein enhanced beer. Soon enough, we'll have bars replacing the smoothie counter at our gyms.
- And finally, here is an interesting, quick read about how your beer vessel impacts taste.
This fail is my fault and it could have been avoided. I cook a lot of chicken with my slow cooker and with enough trial and error I've solved the dryness problem (hint: it involves liquid, a mixture of chicken breasts and thighs, and just the right amount of cooking time on low). I rarely cook any type of beef. So, when I found what sounded like a delicious recipe for Texas Beef Chili on Once Upon a Chef, I tried to outsmart my cow and prepared the recipe as outlined except I put everything into the slow cooker. The result was excellent flavored chili with very tough and dry meat.Read More…
Having recently tried Small Town Brewery's Not Your Father's Root Beer, I understand the excitement. A delicious, nostalgic adult drink that tastes just like childhood. With the surging popularity and exponential growth in the hard soft drink segment, Anheuser-Busch even announced its own Best Damn Root Beer.
Now, Abita Brewery is getting in on the action with Bayou Bootlegger Hard Root Beer. The brilliance here is that Abita was already making non-alcoholic root beer in addition to their excellent beer. They're simply combining their expertise to put another adult root beer on the market. I'm very much looking forward to this one.Read More…
Er....I mean winter. Or I mean Season 6 of Game of Thrones. Or maybe that Ommegang Brewery has announced their newest ale celebrating the upcoming season of Game of Thrones, Seven Kingdoms Hoppy Wheat. It will be available in March to coincide with the premiere at the suggested retail price of $10.
Ommegang describes the ale as "...a hazy pale yellow with a thick cap of pure white foam. The aroma is floral, citrusy with a touch of passion fruit and a slightly herbal hop aroma underpinned with yeast notes of banana, ripe fruit, and spicy phenols. The taste is a full, round hop flavor with tart orange and lemon with a substantial wheat maltiness and the finish has slightly lingering hop notes without being harshly bitter. The mouthfeel is smooth and silken owing to the wheat and oats."Read More… The New York Post, one beer lover is suing Foster's because it's no longer produced in Australia but it's still being promoted as "Australian for Beer". There are not many additional details available. Read More…
Last week, I went to the store without a plan, which is generally a bad idea. Normally, I'm not so good at shopping without something specific in mind and I end up with 11 ingredients that don't go well together and a pint of ice cream. I had it in my head that I wanted something beefy, but I wasn't sure what that might be. When I saw boneless short ribs, I remembered a really delicious short rib chili I once had, so I Googled a recipe while I was in the store, picked up all of the ingredients, and off I went to cook. Food 52's Short Rib Chile was actually third on Google's list of results, but it has recently become a favorite site of mine so it was a no brainer.Read More…
The most interesting bacon and beer stories of the week, according to me:
- The Atlantic's How to Stop Beer From Foaming: Hint, it involves science and magnets.
- Fast Company's Creative Beer: Again, science. The optimal BAC for creativity is .075%, so an ad agency made a beer and a bottle with a guide to help you get there.
- The Ho-Ho-Honut was invented: A Christmas dinner donut filled with sausage and onion gravy, dusted with turkey salt and a roasted potato crumb finished with smoked maple candied bacon and a cranberry glaze.
- Food and Wine's What It's Like to Drink Sriracha Beer: The summary, "Rogue Sriracha Hot Stout Beer, from its packaging on down, is an inspired and well-executed experiment."